Barcelona Tourist Tax is a tax on accommodations you must pay when you come to the city. Many people do not know about it and when accommodation ask them for pay, guests feel disappointed or unpleasantly surprised. Actually, this is a fairly low tax, but it is precisely the lack of information making when tourists come…
A very remarkable visit to Barcelona, although not everyone else does (even the locals) is the Monastery of Pedralbes. It is a quiet haven from the busy city, full of art and architecture, and lovely to see.
When we speak of the Monastery of Pedralbes in Barcelona, we are actually referring to all of the Museum-Monastery of Pedralbes, which includes the church and monastery. The Monastery, one of the best examples of Catalan Gothic architecture, was founded in 1327 by Queen Elisenda Montcada to house the nuns of the Order of Poor Clares.
Visit calmly Pedralbes Monastery allows us to recreate what life was like in the Poor Clares thanks to good state of preservation of the Monastery.
The featured parts of the Monastery of Pedralbes are:
- Chapel of San Miguel: It is certainly one of the most beautiful rooms of the monastery. It is covered with beautiful paintings in 1346 .
- Church: Composed of a single ship headed by a Gothic altar , the church of the monastery is a beautiful temple with little decoration which highlights the striking stained glass.
- Tomb of Queen Elisenda de Montcada.
- Cloister: The cloister of the Monastery of Pedralbes is a beautiful place . You miss observing vegetation and making photos. It is a place full of harmony and peace space.
- Cells day: Are the rooms in which the Poor Clares withdrew for personal recollection. They are located around the cloister.
- Bedroom: The bedroom of ancient religious today hosts the exhibition “Treasures of the monastery ” where works of great artistic value and other items of daily use of the nuns is.
- Kitchen: Certainly one of the most interesting places to see. The kitchen was used until 1983 , and until that date were incorporated technical improvements necessary to meet the nutritional needs of the community. Initially it was a simple , high ceiling and a fireplace in the floor space. Over the centuries, would adding sinks , stoves , butane stove , cold room, hot water heaters , etc. .
Monastery of Pedralbes Schedules:
From 1 October to 31 March
Tuesday to Friday from 10 AM to 2 PM
Saturday and Sunday : 10 AM to 5 PM
From April 1 to September 30
Tuesday to Friday from 10 AM to 5 PM
Saturdays : 10 AM to 7 PM
Sundays from 10:00AM to 8 PM
Tickets: € 7
TRANSLATE // TRADUCIR: Spanish
Licenciada en Periodismo y enamorada de Barcelona desde 1986. Disfruto escribiendo posts y haciendo fotos de mi ciudad natal para BCN City Hotels, tarea que combino con la comunicación y el marketing online y que me mantienen siempre hiper-conectada a Internet.
View all contributions by Elisabet Gómez
Valentine’s Day has a special peculiarity on 2015, it is on Saturday. That makes it an ideal time to come visit Barcelona taking the date of lovers. What better gift for your lover to a trip to Barcelona on Valentine’s Day? If you can take advantage and make an express escape in Barcelona, you will see…
We love Sundays because they are the days when we wake up late and almost all rested but, if you are visiting Barcelona, do you know what to do on a Sunday in Barcelona? Sunday is a typical day in Barcelona to do activities such as go to Tibidabo amusement park, go to the zoo or…
The Cathedral of Barcelona, really called Cathedral de la Santa Creu i Santa Eulalia, is a Gothic cathedral and one of the most precious religious monuments in Barcelona. It was Built between the thirteenth and fifteenth centuries. Barcelona’s Cathedral ( not to be confused with the so-called Catedral del Mar ) is a clear example of…
We love Christmas for the lights, giant Christmas trees in our city, Barcelona center full of happy people with bags and, above all, by the illusion of children. And it is the illusion of children so more comes up with moments like the Three Kings Parade in Barcelona. But it is not the only time and…